Re: Performance of ORDER BY

От Glenn Sullivan
Тема Re: Performance of ORDER BY
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Thanks to Luke and Tom for the input.  I guess this was good timing given that it looks like<br /> 8.2 was just
<blockquotecite="mid7090.1165341726@sss.pgh.pa.us" type="cite"><pre wrap="">Glenn Sullivan <a
class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"href="mailto:glenn.sullivan@varianinc.com"><glenn.sullivan@varianinc.com></a>
in
our use.  I have a DB on the order of 500,000 rows and 50 columns.
The results are always sorted with ORDER BY.  Sometimes, the users end up
with a search that matches most of the rows.  In that case, I have a
LIMIT 5000 to keep the returned results under control.  However, the
sorting seems to take 10-60 sec.  If I do the same search without the
Does the ORDER BY match an index?  If so, is it using the index?
(See EXPLAIN.)
In 8.0 that might be counterproductively high --- we have seen cases
where more sort_mem = slower with the older sorting code.  I concur
with Luke's advice that you should update to 8.2 (not 8.1) to get the
improved sorting code.
        regards, tom lane
 </pre></blockquote>