Re: CertFirst Legit?

От Chander Ganesan
Тема Re: CertFirst Legit?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
On Sun, 2006-12-03 at 08:34 -0800, yt_groups@comcast.net wrote:
I had a similar experience with their classes here in Massachusetts.
In the end my boss overrode me and decided to go with MySQL for
our project, since we can find reliable training from MySQL AB.
There are three well known providers for PostgreSQL.

http://www.otg-nc.com/
http://www.bignerdranch.com/
http://www.commandprompt.com/

They all do different types of traning. Command Prompt specializes in
corporate training, so unless you are training > 8 people then they
aren't for you.

OTG is more of the traditional corporate class type training where you
will have anywhere 4+ individuals within the class.
FYI...

We (OTG) are a bit more than that.  OTG provides three different types of training:
  • Customized corporate (build-your-own) training using our extensive library of PostgreSQL courseware (most corporate training is "unscripted" - with little or no courseware; our classes include well defined courses with pre-planned exercises - and "howto" style step-by-step course documentation).
  • Pre-built on-site corporate training - which includes our courseware as well, this is typically the courses/courseware that we normally deliver in our public enrollment courses.
  • Public (open-enrollment) training.  Our open-enrollment courses optionally include 5 nights of hotel accommodation as well as round trip airfare.  The ones in Morrisville, NC are also guaranteed to run, regardless of enrollment.
Our on-site corporate classes are generally cost-effective (i.e., it becomes cheaper for us to come to you, rather than you coming to us) for groups of 4 or more students.

Our courseware is always up to date (in fact, we send the latest version to print the for each class), and is current to features included in the latest version of PostgreSQL (8.2).  We also own 100% of our content, allowing us to customize courses without adding additional cost.

Our public classes will have 1 or more students in them.  We've run (and continue to run) occasional PostgreSQL classes with 1 or 2 students.  We maintain a class "A" facility with the latest in hardware and a single PC per student - so everything is hands on, and students are able to exercise pretty much every thing they learn in class.
--
Chander Ganesan
The Open Technology Group

Bignerdranch does week long intense training.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

rnshah@imap.cc wrote:
I've been tasked with administering one of our PostgreSQL databases and
know little or nothing about the product (though I do have DB
experience).  I've been looking for training and came across an
administration class at 'http://www.postgresql.org/about/event.425' on
the main web site.  When I called the certfirst people offering the
classes I got the impression that they weren't on the up and up.  When I
asked if the class in Newport Beach was sure to run they tried to talk
me into taking a class in their Illinois location, and when I asked
about a class in January in Vegas they told me it was already full but I
could take the December class in Illinois -- but they wouldn't tell me
where their classes in Vegas are held.

Can anyone provide me with a reference for these guys?  Also, they claim
to offer a certification but it is done online using some web site I've
never heard of.

              http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq
TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend