Re: [HACKERS] Case Preservation disregarding case

От Ken Johanson
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Case Preservation disregarding case
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
Dennis Bjorklund wrote:
>> So my vote would remain for having a config-option to ignore case,
>> even on quoted identifiers..
>
> And my vote is to not have such an option. But I'm not the one who
> decide so don't worry about what I think :-) I would like to have an
> option to upper case the identifiers instead of lower casing them as pg
> do. The sql standard say that they should be upper cased. But as far as
> I know there are no plan at the moment to add such an option either.
> Some time in the future I expect it to be implemented only because it's
> the standard.
>
> /Dennis

Ya, I thought about that - just designing with all-lower case column
names. But then the column names are harder to read, unless I change
over to using underscore naming.

I personally cant see any benefit at all to having the DB fold case (up
or down), or enforcing case sensitive identifiers. In fact I believe
that if here were an option to support case insensitive (at least on a
session-level) that would be largely innocuous --- beneficial even since
the optimizer would now detect that someone created both a rowId, rowid,
and that indicates a possible design error (the whole fail-fast notion).

In one way I think that even allowing creation of a separate "rowid" and
"rowId" sort of violates set theory in a 4+ GL language... a "name" in
its most abstract (human) sense doesn't (shouldn't) consider the case of
its characters. Only what the characters are. A rowid is also a rowId
(or ROWID). Who really intentionally mixes them? (only 3-4GL
*programmers* who consider all-caps to represent constants in my
experience).

thoughts,
Ken

В списке pgsql-sql по дате отправления:

Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] Case Preservation disregarding case
Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] Case Preservation disregarding case