initdb problem on Windows XP Home

От adurrant@cogeco.ca
Тема initdb problem on Windows XP Home
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi Again,

I posted earlier about a problem installing 8.1.5 on Windows XP Home.  THat message was delayed, so it likely will not
show up.

THe problem is occuring on execution of initdb. I skipped the cluster creation in the installation so that I could run
it manually, but it made no difference.

The contents of the temp file for the initdb is:

The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user "postgres".

The database cluster will be initialized with locale C.

fixing permissions on existing directory C:/Program Files/PostgreSQL/8.1/data ... ok
creating subdirectories ... initdb: could not create directory "C:/Program Files": File exists
initdb: removing contents of data directory "C:/Program Files/PostgreSQL/8.1/data"

I tried specifying a folder that doesn't exist, and then I get a permissions error.  Fine, I logged into the system
under the restricted account and tried running initdb again.  However, same results.  I tried specifying a folder that
doesn't already exist, but of course the restricted user does not have access to the C: drive directly.  If I create a
folder under C:, e.g. C:\postgres_db_cluster, and then try to run initdb -D C:\postgres_db_cluster I get the same
results, except this time the log reads
creating subdirectories ... initdb: could not create directory "C:/postgres_db_cluster": File exists
initdb: removing contents of data directory "C:/postgres_db_cluster"

Has anyone encountered this before?  If so, how do I get past this?  I really need to get the database going.  Any help
you can offer will be most appreciated.

Thank you.
Alex.