Re: consistent random order

От Shane Ambler
Тема Re: consistent random order
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
Jeff Herrin wrote:
> I don't think cursors are going to help in this case. The order by random() is still going to give different result
setson different pages.

> Jeff

A cursor will maintain the order it was created with until it is
disposed of.

It won't work with a web app though as each page will come from a
different connection in the available pool (or created for each page)
meaning you will loose the cursor between pages.

I would think you want to look at having a sort column that has a random
number in it that is used for sorting.

mysortcol integer default random()

or maybe update the column a couple of times a day to keep the variety
you seem to be after.

--

Shane Ambler
pgSQL@007Marketing.com