Re: "Optional ident" authentication

От Andrew Dunstan
Тема Re: "Optional ident" authentication
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> "Florian G. Pflug" <fgp@phlo.org> writes:
>
>> I believe it would be sufficient to add an additional column to pg_hba.conf
>> called "On Failure". The value could either be "Continue" or "Abort", with
>> the default being "Abort" to match the current behaviour.
>>

> Then you get into the problem that it has to work for *all* auth
> methods, which in general it will not, because the client probably isn't
> prepared for multiple auth challenges.  Jeroen's kluge avoids that by
> only working for an auth method that doesn't involve a client challenge.

Yes, if we did that we'd probably have to fix libpq to allow for it (and
any native protocol implementations such as JDBC). Can the wire protocol
handle it?

> The example you cited is easily implemented without any new features,
> anyway, using "samegroup":
>
>     local    all    samegroup    ident sameuser
>     local    all    all        md5
>
> where users are made members of the group/role named after the database
> they are allowed to log into without a password.

I was just composing almost this identical example ;-)

'samegroup' is a much overlooked feature, I believe, and should be
extremely useful for hosting providers especially.

cheers

andrew