Re: Nasty VACUUM/bgwriter/segmentation bug

От Florian G. Pflug
Тема Re: Nasty VACUUM/bgwriter/segmentation bug
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> Florian G. Pflug wrote:
>> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>>>
>>> I don't buy this argument. A smart DBA isn't going to do any such thing.
>>> If you go around deleting unknown files you deserve everything you get.
>>> Especially if you are in the middle of a PostgreSQL cluster tree.
>>
>> Couldn't some application trigger this problem regularly (Say, once a
>> day while
>> importing new data), and therefore create an ever increasing number of
>> empty
>> files that you can't get rid of without backup,reinit and restore?
>
> No, the old empty files would get reused if the relation grows again.
> And they would get deleted if you truncate or drop the relation.
Ah, sorry, I had misunderstood that point. I believed that a new
segment would be created when the relation grows again, and the
empty file would linger around forever...

Thanks for your explaination
greetings, Florian Pflug

От: "Heikki Linnakangas"
Сообщение: Re: Nasty VACUUM/bgwriter/segmentation bug
От: "Joshua D. Drake"
Сообщение: Re: Nasty VACUUM/bgwriter/segmentation bug