pl/pgsql or control structures outside of a function?

От Peter Koczan
Тема pl/pgsql or control structures outside of a function?
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
Hi all,

Is there any way to use PL/pgSQL code outside of a function?

The reason I'm asking is that I'm porting some code from
sybase/isql/SQR, and it allows some control code structures to be used
in an sql script. For instance,

begin if ((select count(*) from users where login = 'foo') = 0) begin   print 'Login "foo" does not exist.' end else
begin  print 'Adding account for "foo".'   insert into accounts values ('foo', 'bar') end

end

PL/pgSQL looks like it would make this port rather easy, but all the
docs and examples I found never had an example of PL/pgSQL outside of
a function. For the purposes of this port I'd really prefer not to
create functions for all this. I searched through the PL/pgSQL docs
and even several Google searches but couldn't find a definitive
answer. It's fine if the answer is no, I'm just curious if I should
pursue this path or look for a different one. And if there's a way to
do this or something like it besides "create scripts in
Perl/Python/etc." that you know of, I'd appreciate any information.

Thanks,
Peter

В списке pgsql-sql по дате отправления: