Re: Reducing pg_dump & pg_restore times

От Ron Johnson
Тема Re: Reducing pg_dump & pg_restore times
Дата
Список pgsql-general

On 10/27/06 02:26, Coder At Heart wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Thanks so much for the responses. The system configuration is something
> like
> this-

That's a start...

> Linux,

Presumably a 2.6 kernel?  Which, and which distro version?

PG 8.1,

OK

ext3,

OK

RAID 1 setup with two controllers

Not enough info.

Soft RAID, controller RAID, IDE, SATA, SCSI U160, U320, SAS, 10K
RPM, 15K RPM, etc, etc?

And tape drive.  What kind of tape drive?

Are the disks on one controller and the tape drive on another?

> The machine has 4 processors with 32 Gig of RAM.

Presumably modern.  AMD, Intel, GHz?

And then there's SK's suggestions:

>> *) increasing maintainance_work_mem and work_mem massively
>> *) increasing the number of checkpoint segments
>> *) disabling fsync during the load

> Thanks!
> Shivkumar
>
> On 10/27/06, Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan@kaltenbrunner.cc> wrote:
>>
>> Ron Johnson wrote:

[snip]

>> > So,
>> > - What OS?
>> > - What version of PG?
>> > - what kind of disk system does the DB live on?
>> > - How many controllers?
>> > - What kind of tape drive?
>> > - Is it on it's own SCSI controller?
>>
>> in addition to that basic information we need there are:
>>
>> *) increasing maintainance_work_mem and work_mem massively
>> *) increasing the number of checkpoint segments
>> *) disabling fsync during the load

- --
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

Is "common sense" really valid?
are mud people.

Сообщение: Re: what is the default username password for PostgreSQL, which was installed with FC5.
Сообщение: Re: what is the default username password for PostgreSQL, which was installed with FC5.