Re: Overload after some minutes, please help!

От Joshua D. Drake
Тема Re: Overload after some minutes, please help!
Дата
Список pgsql-general
> All other loadtests (no locking or no indexing) ended up in very high
> load and an unusable system after max. one hour because of the very
> long running sub-SELECT of the DELETE statement.
>
> So i think that sometimes there were deadlocks between these 3
> statements which were detected and reported by Postgre (not sure if it
> could be resolved). This should be solved by locking the whole table.
> Additionally the sub-SELECT took so lang that vacuum couldnt clean up
> the dead rows caused by the UPDATEs and the next runtime of it was
> extremely high which lead to a unrecoverable situation because there
> was constant load.
>
> Is this a reasonable assumption or impossible nonsense?

Sounds more likely to me, since you didn't originally have indexes that
you were getting a long seqscan for your DELETE statement which was
running while the sub-select was waiting.

If you were running the DELETE statement multiple times during a load
test you likely ran into a table bloat issues because of all the dead rows.

Joshua D. Drake

             http://www.commandprompt.com/