Re: Time-Out Issue

От Chris Campbell
Тема Re: Time-Out Issue
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
-----Original Message-----
From: Tom Lane [mailto:tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us]
Sent: Wednesday, January 08, 2014 12:02 PM
To: Chris Campbell
Cc: pgsql-novice@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [NOVICE] Time-Out Issue

Chris Campbell <ccampbell@cascadeds.com> writes:
>> In PostgreSQL 9.3.2, is there a default time-out for running processes (specifically a view via a data connection)
thattake a long time?

>Why do you say the error is "from PostgreSQL"?  It seems rather more likely that this is some kind of client-side
timeout.

>If the query requires a great deal of server think-time before it sends any rows, it's possible that you are hitting a
networkconnection timeout.
>NAT routers in particular often drop "idle" connections after a few minutes.  That breaks all sorts of RFC rules, but
theydo it anyway.
>You can usually work around network issues by setting aggressive TCP keepalive parameters, either at the server or
clientend, to keep some traffic flowing on the network link.

>I don't know what Devart is, but another possibility is that it has got some idea of a query timeout.

Hey, Tom.  Thanks for your reply.

I don't actually "know" that the message is being returned from PostgreSQL, technically speaking the data connection is
raisingthe message but the data connection is getting its information from somewhere.  I'm simply going through a
processof elimination to get to the bottom of this issue.  I've already confirmed that the "statement_timeout" value =
0per Kevin's suggestion.

Devart has a 3rd party control (dotConnect) that I use in my .net environment.  As I mentioned, the Devart control has
nosetting for determining how long a process can execute, only how long it tries to establish a connect before giving
up.

I will have the local Network Admin. look into the networking settings you described.

Thanks so much for your help.  I really appreciate it.

Chris.

От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: Time-Out Issue
От: Thara Vadakkeveedu
Сообщение: Altering a column if it exists