Re: PostgreSQL, LGPL and GPL.

От Joshua D. Drake
Тема Re: PostgreSQL, LGPL and GPL.
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Karen Hill wrote:
> I was looking through the various contrib packages and pgfoundry
> projects.  I noticed that many of them are GPL like PostGIS or LGPL
> like Npgsql.   I have questions.
>
> If you make create a PostgreSQL database that uses PostGIS and you
> distribute that database, than your database (tables, stored
> procedures, views, etc) are GPL?  Like wise if you create a client that
> connects to that database, do they also become GPL?  Does PostgreSQL in
> effect become GPL when using PostGIS because PostGIS accesses parts of
> PostgreSQL?

O.k. first, nobody here is a lawyer. You should be asking them. However
in my experience:

PostgreSQL + LGPL is fine
PostgreSQL + GPL it depends.

For example, if Slony was GPL and you used Slony + PostgreSQL with your
web application to distribute load, it is questionable if you would be
able to keep your sources to yourself as the GPL becomes a distributed
and required component of the application.

But it all depends on a ton of components.

In short, don't ask geeks legal questions, they don't know even if they
think they do. You need to ask an attorney.

Remember that the law is all about interpretation.

You killed that man? Yes I did -- but did I murder him? Or was it
involuntary manslaughter? .. Neither; it was self defense. No it was not
self defense, you were driving your car. Oh your right, it was a crime
of passion -- let's make a plea deal.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

             http://www.commandprompt.com/