Re: Real time query analyzer

От Ron Johnson
Тема Re: Real time query analyzer
Дата
Re: Real time query analyzer  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-general

On 10/18/06 17:22, Jim C. Nasby wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 18, 2006 at 04:27:21PM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:

>>> Note that you're likely to see double the performance of 7.4 by going to
>>> 8.1.5. You'll likely get an even larger gain from 8.2 when it's out.
>> What's the release target for 8.2?
>>
>> (If I get approval and the money, we'll be creating a roughly 8TB
>> database, and in-place upgrade is the only way that we'd be able to
>> migrate from $EXISTING_VERSION to $NEW_VERSION.
>
> There's been very few (any?) bugs reported against beta1, so it could
> potentially be Real Soon Now. If forced to guess, I'd say mid-November,
> but of course the real answer is "when it's ready".
>
> There's also talk of an in-place upgrade tool for 8.1 to 8.2.
>
> In any case, you'll be much, much happier if you do this project on at
> least 8.1.x, as 7.4 is pretty long in the tooth. Due to Red Hat's
> support requirements it will probably remain supported for a few more
> years by Tom/the community, but you might start having issues getting
> commercial support.

We'll be using RHES4, I guess, so if it uses 7.4, then I'll have to
convince the SysAdmin to install 8.1 or 8.2.

x.y.0 always scares me, so it would probably be 8.1.latest.

> Are you planning on backing up straight to tape?

The data CSV files will already be on OpenVMS tapes, so it's not a
*primary* concern.

*If* it gets purchased, and *if* it is put on the gigabit LAN, then
I'd try for some sort of remote backup.

Since the data will be relatively static (only loaded monthly, and
no updates or deletes) and in by-quarter tables, I'm thinking that
it would be adequate to "pg_dump -t" on the /current/ tables, "tar
cj", ftp the tarball it to a machine with a tape drive.

- --
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

Is "common sense" really valid?