Re: COPY FROM STDIN instead of INSERT

От Ilja Golshtein
Тема Re: COPY FROM STDIN instead of INSERT
Дата
Re: COPY FROM STDIN instead of INSERT  (Shane Ambler <pgsql@007Marketing.com>)
Re: COPY FROM STDIN instead of INSERT  (Casey Duncan <casey@pandora.com>)
Список pgsql-general
>When starting a database from scratch it is much faster to import the
>data and then create the indexes. The time to create index on a full
>table is less than the extra time from each index update from the
>inserts. The more indexes to update the more time updating indexes takes.
>
>The problem with a live database is removing the indexes slows down
>current users and if you are adding 2,000 rows to a table that already
>has 5,000,000 rows in it then you will loose the benefit.

I am 100% agree with you. What you are describing is a very good and useful technique for some maintenance operations.

My current goal is to increase performance in normal [almost ;)] OLTP mode of my application, so removing indexes for
sometime is not an option here.

And my question remains.
Is it Ok to use COPY BINARY FROM STDIN instead of multiple INSERTs?

--
Best regards
Ilja Golshtein