Re: COPY FROM STDIN instead of INSERT

От Shane Ambler
Тема Re: COPY FROM STDIN instead of INSERT
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Ilja Golshtein wrote:
> Hello!
>
> One important use case in my libpq based application (PostgreSQL 8.1.4) is a sort of massive data loading.
>
> Currently it is implemented as a series of plain normal INSERTs
> (binary form of PQexecParams is used) and the problem here it is pretty slow.
>
> I've tried to play with batches and with peculiar constructions
> like INSERT (SELECT .. UNION ALL SELECT ..) to improve performance, but not satisfied with the result I've got.
>
> Now I try to figure out if it is possible to use COPY FROM STDIN instead of INSERT if I have to insert, say, more
then100 records at once.

> Hints are highly appreciated.
>
> The only limitaion mentioned in Manual is about Rules and I don't care about this since I don't use Rules.
> Am I going to come across with any other problems (concurrency, reliability, compatibility, whatever) on this way?
>
> Many thanks.

Using COPY FROM STDIN is much faster than INSERT's (I am sure some out
there have test times to compare, I don't have any on hand)

Sounds like your working with an existing database - if you are starting
from scratch (inserting data into an empty database) then there are
other things that can help too.

--

Shane Ambler
Postgres@007Marketing.com