Re: A query planner that learns

От Alban Hertroys
Тема Re: A query planner that learns
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Jim C. Nasby wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 12, 2006 at 05:39:20PM -0500, Scott Marlowe wrote:
>> It may well be that by first looking at the data collected from problems
>> queries, the solution for how to adjust the planner becomes more
>> obvious.
>
> Yeah, that would be useful to have. The problem I see is storing that
> info in a format that's actually useful... and I'm thinking that a
> logfile doesn't qualify since you can't really query it.

You'd need something that contains the query plan (obviously), but also
all relevant information about the underlying data model and data
distribution. Some meta-data, like the version of PostgreSQL, is
probably required as well.

The current statistics contain some of this information, but from
reading this list I know that that's rarely enough information to
determine an error made by the planner.

Regards,
--
Alban Hertroys