Re: more anti-postgresql FUD

От Ron Johnson
Тема Re: more anti-postgresql FUD
Дата
Список pgsql-general

On 10/11/06 19:10, Geoffrey wrote:
> Ron Johnson wrote:

>> [snip]
>>> Oh, and a cluster of IBM p570s would probably be enough to run a 20
>>> user system :-(.  [Actually, that's probably not *entirely* fair; I
>>> once administered an R/3 system supporting ~30 users on a uniprocessor
>>> DEC Alpha with 256MB of RAM, which by modern standards is pretty
>>> pedestrian...]
>>
>> <GEEZER>
>> My first programming job was walloping COBOL on a 1.9 MIPS IBM 43xx
>> with only 6MB RAM.  Supported *70* online users and had a
>> *relational* database (CA Datacom-DB).
>>
>> Of course, the FEPs, block-mode terminals and CICS were the crucial
>> difference.
>>
>> Damned shame that Unix killed that mentality, and that client-server
>> was usually implemented so poorly.
>> </GEEZER>
>
> You had that much memory?  Used to run a time reporting system on a 3b2

Hey, I remember those.

A 3b2 was my first exposure to Unix.  At the time I was a VMS
programmer who loved DCL, and was *not* impressed by Unix.

I *still* use VMS at work, and while DCL is really showing it's age
and while bash 3.1 on Linux (which I'm writing this from now) is
light-years better than sh, VMS is still a great "DP" operating system.

> 400, 4MB Ram, WE32100 10MHz processor, 1.1 MIPS.  Flat file home grown
> database system that used indices in shared memory and semaphore
> communication between three continuously running processes.
>
> The application ran in pretty much all the AT&T factories at the time.

Flat files and minimal user interaction?  Bah.

Now, if *one* machine ran a whole AT&T factory, that would be
impressive.  Of course, VAX/VMS would do it, and no one would bat an
eyelash.

- --
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

Is "common sense" really valid?
are mud people.

Сообщение: Re: question on renaming a foreign key
Сообщение: Re: question on renaming a foreign key