Re: more anti-postgresql FUD

От Steve Crawford
Тема Re: more anti-postgresql FUD
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Guy Rouillier wrote:
> Andrew Sullivan wrote:
>> On Tue, Oct 10, 2006 at 02:50:44PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>>> Some days I think database independence is a myth.
>> On the day when you don't, please tell me what application you found
>> where it isn't.  I want to buy the developers a drink.  Or maybe a
>> bar.
>
> The Mantis bug tracking software http://www.mantisbt.org/ now works with
> PostgreSQL (was developed with MySQL.)  It works equally well with both,
> including automated installation.

I find that "database independence" == "lowest common denominator". I
may have missed something, but a quick scan of the Mantis code didn't
reveal any use of triggers, rules, foreign-keys, user-defined types, etc.

Whenever I see that a project has been "ported" to PostgreSQL I can
usually be sure that it is not a project that was designed to take
advantage of the features and capabilities that PG offers.

But I suspect that porting something that uses all the features of mySql
to PostgreSQL will be far easier than porting something that uses all
the features of PostgreSQL over to mySql (if it is possible at all).

Cheers,
Steve