Re: Index Tuning Features

От Joshua D. Drake
Тема Re: Index Tuning Features
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Simon Riggs wrote:
>> For 8.3, I'd like to add the following two related features to assist
>> with Index Tuning and usability:
>>
>> - Virtual Indexes
>
> This seems useful, but I'm not sure we need a catalog object for that.
> It might be sufficient to declare these hypothetical indexes within the
> EXPLAIN command.  That is after all the only place where they are
> applied.
>
>> - RECOMMEND command
>>
>> Similar in usage to an EXPLAIN, the RECOMMEND command would return a
>> list of indexes that need to be added to get the cheapest plan for a
>> particular query (no explain plan result though).
>
> This functionality also seems useful, but maybe it should be the job of
> a user-space tool?

On this same vein I thought it would be interesting if we added a
suggestion to explain analyze... Something like:

Your estimated number of rows appears to be off. Have you ran analyze
lately?

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Sales/Support: +1.503.667.4564 || 24x7/Emergency: +1.800.492.2240  Providing the most comprehensive  PostgreSQL
solutionssince 1997            http://www.commandprompt.com/