Re: How much memory in 32 bits Architecture to Shared Buffers

От Joshua D. Drake
Тема Re: How much memory in 32 bits Architecture to Shared Buffers
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Marcelo Costa wrote:
> Hi, to all!
>
> Recently i try increasing the memory values of shared buffers on one
> IBM xseries 255 (Quad XEON 2.8, 8 GB RAM, 2 disk SCSI 36 GB(Raid 1), 1
> Storage.

You haven't specified your OS so I am going to assume Linux.

> Where I start up the cluster very messages of configurations errors on
> shared_memmory and SHMMAX look up. I try change the values of
> shared_memory, max_connections and effective_cache_size and large the
> size of SHMALL and SHMMAX to use 4294967296 (4096 MB)  but the cluster
> don't start.

You have to edit your sysctl.conf see:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/runtime.html

I *think* (I would have to double check) the limit for shared memory on
linux 32bit is 2 gig. Possibly 2 gig per CPU I don't recall. I run all
64bit now.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

             http://www.commandprompt.com/