Re: Configuring System for Speed

От alvis
Тема Re: Configuring System for Speed
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Brian Wipf wrote:
> I am in the process of speccing out a new box for a highly utilized
> (updates, inserts, selects) 40GB+ database. I'm trying to maximize
> performance on a budget, and I would appreciate any feedback on any of
> the following.

Perhaps this is off topic, but here is bit from my experience.  Using
single server for both read (select) and write (insert, update, delete)
operations is the way  to slow things down.  Consider to split query
workload into OLTP and OLAP queries . Set up Slony replication and use
slave server for read operations only . Buy 1 cheap box (slave) and
another more expensive one for master. Keep in mind that DB schema
optimization for particular query workload is essential . You just can
not get good performance for selects if schema is optimized for inserts
and vice versa.

> OS:
> The consensus in the list seems to be as long as you have the 2.6
> Linux Kernel, it's really a matter of personal preference. However,
> it's hard to have a preference when you're new to the Linux world,
> like I am. Red Hat, Fedora Core, Slackware, Suse, Gentoo? I guess my
> primary goal is speed, stability, and ease of use. Any advice here, no
> matter how minimal, would be appreciated.
My answer is FreeBSD6.1.

--
Best Regards,
Alvis

От: Dave Cramer
Сообщение: Re: Xeon Woodcrest/Dempsey vs Opteron Socket F/940 with postgresql and some SAS raid-figures
От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: Performance problem with joins