Re: [Pgsqlrpms-hackers] Safer auto-initdb for RPM init

От Joshua D. Drake
Тема Re: [Pgsqlrpms-hackers] Safer auto-initdb for RPM init
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Matthew T. O'Connor wrote:
> Jim C. Nasby wrote:
>> On Sat, Aug 26, 2006 at 01:32:17PM -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>>> I am not exactly sure why we initdb at all. IMHO it would be better
>>> if the start script just checked if there was a cluster. If not, it
>>> wouldn't start, it would error with: You do not have a cluster,
>>> please read man page on initdb.
>>
>> As Tom mentioned, it's for newbie-friendliness. While I can understand
>> that, I think it needs to be easy to shut that off.
>
> I understand that, but it seems the whole problem of people overwriting
> there data dir is because we initdb from the start script.  If we
> installed the datadir during the RPM install, it would still be newbie
> friendly and would removed initdb from start script solving that problem.
 initdb will not overwrite an existing installation.

Joshua D. Drake

> The only downside is larger disk foot-print for something that a user
> may never use.  Given the size of todays hard drives, and the size of a
> standard RedHat install, I don't think that is much of an issue.

> TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend

Sales/Support: +1.503.667.4564 || 24x7/Emergency: +1.800.492.2240   Providing the most comprehensive  PostgreSQL
solutionssince 1997             http://www.commandprompt.com/

От: "Matthew T. O'Connor"
Сообщение: Re: [Pgsqlrpms-hackers] Safer auto-initdb for RPM init
От: Alvaro Herrera
Сообщение: Re: Hierarchical Queries--Status