Re: sizing of a server

От Richard Huxton
Тема Re: sizing of a server
Дата
Список pgsql-general
gpap@ifrance.com wrote:
> I would like to create a database server with postgres web application.
>
> My DB size will be 20GB.
> I will write 10000 a day with until 10 to 15 simultanous write.
> How could I size my server (memory, CPU, ...) ?

The only reliable way is to do some testing. Now 10,000 rows a day isn't
many and I doubt it will be 10-15 simultaneous writes (although it might
be 10-15 simultaneous connections).

The key questions will be how much of that 20GB gets used regularly, and
what level of performance you'll need.

The best way of finding out is to do some testing - use a standard
desktop machine (or laptop) and see how that performs. Make sure you
have a realistic mix and amount of data though.

If I had to guess, I'd buy a cheap server with some SATA disks (at least
2 so you can mirror them) and as much RAM as was left in my budget.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd