Re: 8.2 features status

От mdean
Тема Re: 8.2 features status
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Joshua D. Drake wrote:

>> I am interrested in finding out what you folks mean by usability and
>> refinement.  How do you measure it?  These seem to me to be
>> unmeasurable hackneyed terms with little intrinsic meaning!
>

> Yep you are absolutely right. That is what press releases are all about.
>
>> So could you say something like: the New Postgresql, version 8.2,
>> building on its reputation of sheer power and ACID compliance, now
>> implements feature 1, which provides benefit 1, plus feature 2, which
>> leads to benefit 2,  plus .... etc. thereby maximizing overall ease
>> of use. ??
>>
>> WE tend to speak of features, now is a good time to speak of benefits
>> to the dba, benefits for upgrading to an existing project, etc.
>

> If they don't know by reading the terms, then they will want to buy
> reading the 50 cent, fancy words.
>
>>  The New Postgresql 8,2 will increase speed of response by x %, ad
>> hoc queries will be x % faster, etc.  I know I am being simplistic,
>> but the benefits need to blurt out, and be immediately recognizable
>> as such to the majority of players.  JMUETCW. Michael
>

> Percentages never work because it depends on a specific work load,
> specific design, specific hardware etc...
>
> Joshua D. Drake

Josh, percentages, like almost anything, do work in the right context,
in this case, that of the testimonial, something postgresql hasn't
emphasized IMHO.  If ten to 20 projects were treated as real and
realistic case studies, with an in-depth description of the project, and
how the NEW Postgresql effected these projects,and these were featured
one after another, daily for an entire month, there would be major play
in the news.  By talking in depth about specific projects, we relate to
the actual production users own daily experiences, especiually if % can
be translated into dollars.

For instance: "I Adapted the NEW Postgresql 8.2 in my online e-commerce
website and save $1,343.45 per month in ...."
or: "The Sheer Speed of such an ACID compliant ORDBMS as the NEW
Postgresql 8.2, especially in danling  xnxnxnxn enabled our company to ..."

I am just brainstorming, I lack the db expertise, but real life stroies
are powerful creatures with a life of their own.