Re: Why can't I connect to postgres?

От Raymond O'Donnell
Тема Re: Why can't I connect to postgres?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 24 Jul 2006 at 17:57, Theodore H. Smith wrote:

> Say for example, I want to do something to the database, can I just
> say something like DataBasePleaseTryRegisterUser( "name", "details",
> "serial", "etc" ); where DataBasePleaseTryRegisterUser would be some
> kind of function stored in the database itself?
>
> Or should I put the logic into my perl files? And treat the database
> as just that, a blind database which can store invalid data.

You can do either. I suppose which you go for depends on what you
want your application to do - For example, I frequently have to log
all changes to the data, in which case I find it best to write a
function which doe the logging and then call that function from
within other functions that do the updates - this way the log is
written within the same transaction as the update, with the resulting
peace of mind a major benefit!

--Ray.

Raymond O'Donnell
Director of Music, Galway Cathedral, Galway, Ireland
rod@iol.ie