Re: [HACKERS] pgsql: Use gender-neutral language in documentation

От Mark Dilger
Тема Re: [HACKERS] pgsql: Use gender-neutral language in documentation
Дата
Список pgsql-committers
> On Sep 22, 2015, at 6:09 AM, Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> wrote:
>
> You are fighting a losing battle. Think of they/them/their/theirs as being indefinitely gendered third person
singularpronouns, as well as being third person plural pronouns. Yes it's a relatively new usage, but I don't think its
atall unreasonable (speaking as someone who has been known to dislike some new usages and neologisms). It's not at all
sloppy.On the contrary, it's quite deliberate. It's just not quite traditional. You need to get over that.

The use of "their" as singular dates back at least as far as Chaucer in the 14th century, prior to
the use of "you" as a singular pronoun.  Militant grammarian schoolteachers may have told you
not to use it that way, but that doesn't change the history of its use.

Mark Dilger

От: Peter Geoghegan
Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] pgsql: Use gender-neutral language in documentation
От: David Steele
Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] pgsql: Use gender-neutral language in documentation