Re: Kill a session

От Mark Kirkwood
Тема Re: Kill a session
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Craig A. James wrote:

> I'm back to my original question: How do you kill a runaway query
> without bringing down the whole database?  Is there really no answer to
> this?

As others have mentioned, pg_cancel_backend(pid) will stop query
execution by backend process id 'pid'.

While this is often enough, if you actually want to disconnect a backend
process then there is nothing to let you do this remotely. I recently
did a patch for Bizgres that just implements the
pg_terminate_backend(pid) function (currently #ifdef'ed out of the
codebase) as a contrib so it can be easily installed. See
http://pgfoundry.org/pipermail/bizgres-general/2006-May/000484.html

If you want to try it out, please read the README (it discusses possible
dangers associated with sending SIGTERM to backends). And I would
certainly be interested in hearing what level of success (or otherwise)
you have with it!

Best wishes

Mark