Re: Long term database archival

От Jan Wieck
Тема Re: Long term database archival
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 7/12/2006 12:18 PM, Tim Hart wrote:

> Wouldn't you run into driver problems if you tried to restore a 20 year old
> image? After all, you probably won't be using the same hardware in 20
> years...

I can't even find the same hardware I bought "last year". That's one of
the reasons why I use VMware on my laptop. It has a hardware abstraction
layer that presents default XVGA and Soundblaster cards etc. to the
guest OS. When I buy a new laptop, I just install VMware on the new
thing, copy over the virtual machines and fire them up. They don't even
notice that they run on entirely different hardware.

Jan