Re: Long term database archival

От Ron Johnson
Тема Re: Long term database archival
Дата
Список pgsql-general

Karl O. Pinc wrote:

> On 07/12/2006 09:25:45 AM, Jan Wieck wrote:

>> The best way is to not only backup the data. With todays VM technology
>> it should be easy enough to backup a virtual disk that contains a full
>> OS and everything install for every major Postgres release.
>
> I think that that's the answer, put the whole OS and db on a
> bootable cd or DVD.

It's *highly* *unlikely* that a DVD-R will be readable in 20 years.

CSV files on DLT is a definite plan.

Also, and "archive server", with a simple CPU, not "much" RAM and
slots for 3.5" SATA drives.  Populate with with large, affordable
drives as needed.

>                      In 20 years they'll surely be no
> problem running the whole thing from RAM so media access
> speed should not be an issue.
>
> The only thing to worry about is if the underlying architecture
> goes away entirely.  I suppose if you choose something common
> they'll be an emulator.

That's how people are still running VAX/VMS...

- --
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

Is "common sense" really valid?