Re: Procedural language functions across servers

От Mark Morgan Lloyd
Тема Re: Procedural language functions across servers
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> > I'm considering building a .so on a scratch machine and copying it to the
> > production server but I'm not confident that I understand every possible
> > implication.
>
> Or maybe you could install the development Perl package, which at least
> on some distros I know include the libperl.so file you need.  If you
> weren't so misterious about what distro you are using maybe you could
> even find someone to tell you what is that package called.

Slackware 8.1, extensively hacked, kernel and anything that talks to the outside
World patched up to date, firewalled to oblivion. In other words if I want
something other than what's there already I have to build it myself- there's
only the one Perl package, and I checked the build procedure before I raised my
head above the parapet. What's more looking at the Perl source (in other words
we're getting into Perl territory here, not Slackware) it appears that you can
build with or without a .so, but if you have one it's always used and that slows
normal Perl operations which is something I can't afford.

Granted that this isn't the most recent distro by far, but I've got reasons for
sticking with it. Otherwise most desktops here have Debian on them and I agree
that having competent binary package management helps, although it's not a
universal panacea.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk