Re: VACUUM FULL versus CLUSTER ON

От Sven Willenberger
Тема Re: VACUUM FULL versus CLUSTER ON
Дата
Список pgsql-general

Sven Willenberger presumably uttered the following on 07/07/06 13:52:

>>> Doing a quick check reveals that the relation in question currently
>>> consumes 186GB of space (which I highly suspect is largely bloat).
>> Good lord.. .186 gig for a 300 million row table? Unless those are seriously
>> large rows, you have a TON of bloat.
>>
>> Joshua D. Drake
>>

> Yes, that number came from the dbsize functions (in contrib) so I don't
> know if that includes the associated indexes as well. The rows are
> fairly large, yes, but not enough (IMO) to account for that size. It
> will be interesting to see the final size after the vacuum full (which
> is the method I have settled on to reclaim space this go round).
>
> Sven

>        match

Unfortunately it would appear that I cannot vacuum full either as I get an out of
memory error:

# - Memory -

shared_buffers = 5000           # min 16, at least max_connections*2, 8KB each
work_mem = 131072               # min 64, size in KB
maintenance_work_mem = 524288   # min 1024, size in KB
max_stack_depth = 4096          # min 100, size in KB

/boot/loader.conf
kern.maxdsiz="1610612736"
kern.dfldsiz="891289600"

I have disabled other connections to the db except for slony (which will not access
the table in question). I begin a Vacuum full <tablename> and start watching memory
use constantly increase (top). It pushes to:

  PID USERNAME  PRI NICE   SIZE    RES STATE  C   TIME   WCPU    CPU COMMAND
61048 pgsql      -4    0  1640M  1472M getblk 1   6:58 16.75% 16.75% postgres

and then it bails:
ERROR:  out of memory
DETAIL:  Failed on request of size 78.

Server version is 8.03