pgsql user change to postgres

Hi,

I started using PostgreSQL (8.0) about a year ago on Windows.  Following
the installation instructions, I created a 'postgres' user (BTW, this
was based on the Short Version instructions for UNIX, i.e., "adduser
postgres" --I'm not sure it this is made explicit elsewhere, even for UNIX).

I'm now migrating to FreeBSD and was surprised to find that the port
used 'pgsql' as the user.  The maintainer said that was done to ensure
backward compatibility because that *was* the original name.  Since I
didn't need to be backward compatible (and my Windows dbs already used
'postgres'), I tried to bypass that (sort of) requirement by renaming
'pgsql' to 'postgres' (in the passwd file) and changing the
postgresql_user variable used in the rc startup file.  That was OK until
I tried to build 8.1.4_1.  I figured out how to tweak the build files to
stick with 'postgres' but then I realized I'd have to patch them every
time I'd fetch a new build, so I went back to 'pgsql'.

I'm curious about a few things.  How long ago was the 'pgsql' to
'postgres' change (and maybe it would be helpful to know the rationale
for the backward incompatible decision--I tried searching in the
archives but 'pgsql' and 'postgres' are all too common)?  Is there any
problem with using 'pgsql' vs. 'postgres' (and are there any plans to
deprecate or disallow the former at some point)?  Are other UNIX/Linux
ports in the same boat, or does any Linux port offer users a choice in
this matter?  Would any change to the build/install procs have to be
done through the current port maintainer or are they somewhere in the
PostgreSQL source tree (and subject to standard submission/review
procedures)?

Joe