Re: RAID + PostgreSQL?

От Glen Parker
Тема Re: RAID + PostgreSQL?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
My experience has been that RAID5 + Postgres = counter productive.  I've
been happier with a 4-way software mirror (Linux).

In the past, Postgres has been very drive seek intensive, because of the
way index scans were performed.  RAID5 does *NOTHING* to help this.  Raw
disk throughput is essentially a non-issue with Postgres, for the sort
of use I'm used to putting it to.

My tests have shown *HUGE* improvement in index scans in 8.1.  The
bitmap index read was one of the most profound improvements I've seen in
Postgres yet.  I suspect 8.1 would help you quite a lot.

-Glen