Re: [Fwd: Re: [Pljava-dev] char with trailing space, PreparedStatement.setObject

От Thomas Hallgren
Тема Re: [Fwd: Re: [Pljava-dev] char with trailing space, PreparedStatement.setObject
Дата
Список pgsql-jdbc
Tom Lane wrote:
> Thomas Hallgren <thomas@tada.se> writes:
>
>> so why does it make a difference to use varchar instead of text?
>>

> It's a question of type resolution rules.  text is the preferred string
> type so it "wins" in cross-type situations, in particular
>     char_value = text_value
> will be interpreted as
>     char_value::text text_eq text_value
> varchar is not only not a preferred type, it doesn't even have any
> comparison ops of its own (it depends on text's ops).  Therefore given
>     char_value = varchar_value
> the parser is faced with the alternative interpretations
>     char_value::text text_eq varchar_value::text
>     char_value char_eq varchar_value::char
> and it will prefer the latter because it has fewer casts.
> See
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/typeconv.html
> particularly rules 10.2.3b and 3c.  The upshot of all this
> is that a parameter specified as "text" dominates any comparison
> to other string datatypes, whereas one specified as "varchar"
> does not.  Yeah, it's a bit grotty, but it gets the job done
> and it's not an area we're likely to change much.
>
>             regards, tom lane

Hmm, OK. I checked my code and I don't use any specific type. Instead, I
use SPI_getargtypeid(ePlan, idx) on the prepared query and the
pgType->typinput function of the type that corresponds to the returned
oid. Perhaps the SPI_getargtypeid should return varchar for all text types?

Regards,
Thomas Hallgren

От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: [Fwd: Re: [Pljava-dev] char with trailing space, PreparedStatement.setObject
От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: [Fwd: Re: [Pljava-dev] char with trailing space, PreparedStatement.setObject