Re: how to partition disks

От Sven Geisler
Тема Re: how to partition disks
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Hi Hubert,

hubert depesz lubaczewski schrieb:
> hi
> i'm waiting for new server to arrive.
> for the server i will get hp msa1000, with 14 discs (72g, 15000 rpm).
> what kind of partitioning you suggest, to get maximum performance?
> for system things i will have separate discs, so whole array is only for
> postgresql.
>
> data processing is oltp, but with large amounts of write operations.
>
> any hints?
>
> should i go with 3 partitions, or just 1? or 2?

You should configure your discs to RAID 10 volumes.
You should set up a separate volume for WAL.
A volume for an additional table space may also useful.

In your case I would do 2 partitions:

1. RAID 10 with 8 discs for general data
2. RAID 10 with 4 discs for WAL
(two disk as spare)

You may split the first volume in two volumes for a second table space
if you Server doesn't have enough RAM and you have a high disk read I/O.

Cheers
Sven.