Re: Confirmation of bad query plan generated by 7.4

От Shaun Thomas
Тема Re: Confirmation of bad query plan generated by 7.4
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
wrote:

> Is there some compelling reason to stick with 7.4? In my experience
> you'll see around double (+100%) the performance going to 8.1...

Not really.  We *really* want to upgrade, but we're in the middle of
buying the new machine right now.  There's also the issue of migrating
37GB of data which I don't look forward to, considering we'll need to
set up a slony replication for the entire thing to avoid the hours
of downtime necessary for a full dump/restore.

> What's your stats target set to for that table?

Not sure what you mean by that.  It's just that this table has 27M
rows
extending over 4 years, and I'm not quite sure how to hint to that.
An index scan for a few days would be a tiny fraction of the entire
table, so PG being insistent on the sequence scans was confusing the
hell
out of me.

--

Shaun Thomas
Database Administrator

Leapfrog Online
807 Greenwood Street
Evanston, IL 60201
Tel. 847-440-8253
Fax. 847-570-5750
www.leapfrogonline.com

Confidentiality Note:

The document(s) accompanying this e-mail transmission, if any, and the
e-mail transmittal message contain information from Leapfrog Online
Customer Acquisition, LLC is confidential or privileged. The information
is intended to be for the use of the individual(s) or entity(ies) named
on this e-mail transmission message. If you are not the intended
recipient, be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of
the contents of this e-mail is prohibited. If you have received this
e-mail in error, please immediately delete this e-mail and notify us by
telephone of the error