Re: Fabian Pascal and RDBMS deficiencies in fully implementing

От Nis Jorgensen
Тема Re: Fabian Pascal and RDBMS deficiencies in fully implementing
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Roman Neuhauser wrote:
> # nis@superlativ.dk / 2006-06-09 10:12:21 +0200:
>> Agent M wrote:
>>> If you don't use NULL, then you don't
>>> come across 3-valued logic--problem solved.
>> So was does "SELECT sum(1) FROM dual WHERE false" return?
>
>     You stripped this:
>
>>> Some Tutorial D notions really make sense; I would love to be able
>>> to rely on every function returning a relation.

Yes. I didn't see its relevance to the claim that "if you don't use
null, you will not come across 3-valued logic". My point being that you
need to make sure that your queries don't generate them behind your back
either.

>     So your query would prolly return a table with one (INT) column,
>     but no rows.

Well, if you are not bound by the SQL standard and its mistakes, the
"obvious" return value would be one row, one column, containing 0.

/Nis