Re: UTF8 problem

От Matthew T. O'Connor
Тема Re: UTF8 problem
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Tom Lane wrote:
> "Matthew T. O'Connor" <matthew@zeut.net> writes:
>> They have talked about changing the messageblks to binary instead of
>> text.  They said that one of their main objections is that bytea data is
>> not compressed.  I'm not sure that's true, but I don't see anything in
>> the docs about it.   I think they would move to bytea if it does compress.
>
> These people really don't know what they're talking about, do they?

Ok, this is what I thought, but I wasn't sure.  We might want to add a
note to the docs that detail this fact.  If it's already there, it
wasn't prominent enough for me to find with a cursory glance.

> bytea goes through exactly the same compression logic as text.  But
> really it sounds to me like the easiest solution is just to run the
> database in SQL_ASCII encoding.

That is what they recommend, but I have the DBMail tables in the same
database as the rest of my company database which I converted to UTF8
(perhaps I didn't need to do this, but that is another issue...).

Thanks.