Re: UTF8

От Markus Schaber
Тема Re: UTF8
Дата
Список pgsql-jdbc
Hi, Bakos,

Bakos Sandor wrote:

> I get the following exception when I read a simple TXT file in Linux and
> try to INSERT to the psql. (8.1.4)
>
> org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: ERROR: character 0xefbfbd of encoding
> "UTF8" has no equivalent in "LATIN2"

This meas that your database is encoded in ISO-LATIN2 charset, and psql
is telling the server the data it sends is UTF-8. The server tries to
convert the UTF-8 Data into LATIN2, but there is a character (whose
UTF8-Sequence is 0xefbfbd) that is not contained in LATIN-2.

Either your file is latin-2 in reality (or even another charset), then
you should tell psql to use the latin-2 encoding.

Or your file really is utf-8, and really contains characters not
contained in latin-2. Then you have two possibilities: Edit the file and
replace those characters with some transcription, or convert your
database to utf-8 encoding (needs a dump&restore).

HTH,
Markus