Re: Storing images in PostgreSQL databases (again)

От Jacob Coby
Тема Re: Storing images in PostgreSQL databases (again)
Дата
Список pgsql-general

you could store the pkey as a md5 or sha1 of the image's data.  or any of the other large hashing algorithms.  that way your index only has to compare 32 or 40 bytes instead of kilobytes per row.

as for the main color, you could generate histogram-like columns (or even a single column) with the relative strengths of each channel and store them into a smallint or bitstring.  you could then do whatever you wanted per channel and it could be indexed.

From: pgsql-general-owner@postgresql.org [mailto:pgsql-general-owner@postgresql.org] On Behalf Of Jean-Christophe Roux
Sent: Thursday, October 05, 2006 7:55 PM
To: Alexander Staubo
Cc: pgsql-general@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Storing images in PostgreSQL databases (again)

Why would I set a bytea column (containing picures) as a primary key? Because I want to be sure that the same image is inserted only once (that requirement comes from a real project) and using a primary key for that purpose makes sense to me.
Am I going to retrieve an image row by its image data? I would certainly like! For instance, I would like to get the pictures whose main color is green (requirement from a real project), and a
select * from images where main_color(image) = 'green' would be nice.
JCR