Re: PostgreSQL Update + (PGISDBRU) PGSQL is Slow Debunked

От Brad Nicholson
Тема Re: PostgreSQL Update + (PGISDBRU) PGSQL is Slow Debunked
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
operationsengineer1@yahoo.com wrote:
> http://developers.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/05/23/2228225
>
> here is an interesting thread regarding speed
> issues...
>
> http://developers.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=186493&threshold=1&commentsort=0&mode=thread&cid=15391068
>
> bottom line - some real life users have compared pgsql
> to mysql in *some* cases and pgsql was faster.

You can design easily design test cases that will show one database to
be faster than the other.  Fact is, most of those "Database A is faster
than Database B" shoot out articles are written by people who don't
understand databases.  As for a lot of the people who talk about
databases on Slashdot, well, I won't go there.

Most of these comparisons use base, untuned configurations, do a trivial
set of operations, and jump to conclusions about which database is faster.

MySQL is faster than Postgres in some cases.  That doesn't make MySQL a
faster database than Postgres, it just makes it faster in some cases.
Try hitting MySQL with a highly concurrent load and see what happens.

--
Brad Nicholson  416-673-4106