Re: "make check" fails over NFS or tmpfs

От Florian G. Pflug
Тема Re: "make check" fails over NFS or tmpfs
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
> On Mon, May 22, 2006 at 12:52:33PM -0400, Greg Stark wrote:
>> "Rafael Martinez, Guerrero" <r.m.guerrero@usit.uio.no> writes:
>>
>>> Why do you think 'intr' is a bad thing, from man pages:
>>> " ........  If  an  NFS file operation has a major timeout and it is
>>> hard mounted, then allow signals to  interupt  the  file operation  and
>>> cause  it to return EINTR to the calling program.  The default is to not
>>> allow file operations to be interrupted ....."
>> Traditional file systems guaranteed it never happened, so older applications
>> do not expect to have filesystem operations interrupted. Many do not check for
>> it or do not handle it properly. I recall a conversation a while back about
>> Postgres in particular not checking for it.
>
> I've occasionally wondered if this is a SysV vs BSD thing. Under SysV
> signal semantics, any signal would cause the current system call to
> return EINTR. The list of system calls that could be interrupted is
> long, and include just about anything filesystem related. So programs
> with any kind of signal handling would handle the broken-NFS case
> automatically.
>
> BSD signal semantics (what postgres uses) make all system calls
> restart across signals. Thus, a system call can never return EINTR
> unless you have non-blocking I/O enabled. These programs would be
> confused by unexpected EINTRs.
AFAIK, linux actually abort syscalls when an signal arrives, and it's
just the libc that restarts them automatically. So, actually, doing

do {
   ret = syscall(args) ;
} until (ret != EINTR)

in your code should be equivalent to telling the libc to provide BSD semantics, and
just do

ret = syscall(args) ;

> Postgres doesn't check EINTR on all filesystem system call and thus
> would be susceptable to the above problem.
Even if postgres checked for EINTR, what could it possibly do in that case?
Just retrying wont have any advantage over simply mounting with "nointr" -
it would still just hang when the nfs-server dies.

greetings, Florian Pflug

От: Bruce Momjian
Сообщение: Re: allow LIMIT in UPDATE and DELETE
От: "Joshua D. Drake"
Сообщение: Re: Why won't it index scan?