PostgreSQL internals. Help needed

От Federico Petronio
Тема PostgreSQL internals. Help needed
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hello all,

as part of an University assignment, a group friends and I have to
research in PostgreSQL internals (i.e. parsing, optimizing, execution
planning, etc) and compare it with other DBMS (an educational oriented
one called MiniBase). I would like to know is you can point us to a
place where we can find that kind of information.

We need to understand how the parser, the optimizer, the execution
planner works and the go to the source code and find where and how each
functionality is implemented. We need also to understand the structure
of the catalog (and make an ERD for it) and how PostgreSQL use it during
queries. We will also appreciate any link to detailed explanation of the
source code.

We don’t know if this kind of information if available online, or if
there are books out there about it, So any help would be very appreciated.

Thank you!
--

                                        Federico Petronio
                                        petrus@activesec.biz