Re: [OT] MySQL is bad, but THIS bad?

От Andrew Dunstan
Тема Re: [OT] MySQL is bad, but THIS bad?
Дата
Re: [OT] MySQL is bad, but THIS bad?  (Philippe Schmid <phschmid@cadinfo.ch>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Mark Woodward wrote:
>> Jim C. Nasby wrote:
>>
>>> Maybe a compatability layer isn't worth doing, but I certainly think
>>> it's very much worthwhile for the community to do everything possible to
>>> encourage migration from MySQL. We should be able to lay claim to most
>>> advanced and most popular OSS database.
>>>

>> We'll do that by concentrating on spiffy features, not compatibility
>> layers. I want people to use PostgreSQL because it's the best, not
>> because it's just like something else.
>>

> While I do agree with the ideal, the reality may not be good enough. Even
> I, a PostgreSQL user for a decade, have to use MySQL right now because
> that is what the client uses.
>
> Again, there is so much code for MySQL, a MySQL emulation layer, MEL for
> short, could allow plug and play compatibility for open source, and closed
> source, applications that otherwise would force a PostgreSQL user to hold
> his or her nose and use MySQL.

If we had infinite resources this might make sense. We don't, so it
doesn't. There is a real cost to producing a compatibility layer, and
the cost will be those spiffy new features.

Let's get recursive queries, MERGE, and a couple more things and they
will still be chasing our heels.

cheers

andrew

От: "Joshua D. Drake"
Сообщение: Re: [OT] MySQL is bad, but THIS bad?
От: "Jim C. Nasby"
Сообщение: Re: [OT] MySQL is bad, but THIS bad?