Re: RES: Add column and specify the column position in

От Emi Lu
Тема Re: RES: Add column and specify the column position in
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Jim C. Nasby wrote:

>On Wed, May 17, 2006 at 05:48:52PM -0400, Emi Lu wrote:
>

>>I think it is a very useful feature for postgresql to support it.
>>
>>If we have this feature supported, I do not have to recreate the table
>>and resetup all foreign key constraints, views, triggers, etc that are
>>based on the table.
>>

>Uh, why do you have to do that? Please don't tell me you're using SELECT
>*...

No. It is not for select.

I have tens of tables with very clean structure. For example, username,
application_code, last_modified_by, etc in specific orders.

Since the business model is changed, I have to add some columns to
serveral tables.

I prefer columns orders following my other tables.

>In any case, there's extensive discussion about this in the -hackers
>archives. IIRC, there is consensus that this would be nice to have but
>no one has cared enough to actually make it happen. There are some
>non-trivial issues since this would mean either completely re-writing
>the table when you do an ALTER or you'd have to be able to divorce the
>catalog representation of a table with the on-disk representation.
>Though there are other advantages to doing the later, it's non-trivial.

If it does not support, I will recreate my tables.

Thanks.

От: Casey Duncan
Сообщение: Re: autovacuum "connections" are hidden
От: Bricklen Anderson
Сообщение: Re: RES: Add column and specify the column position in