Re: Benchmarck PostgreSQL 8.1.4 MySQL 5.0.20 and Oracle

От Jean-Paul Argudo
Тема Re: Benchmarck PostgreSQL 8.1.4 MySQL 5.0.20 and Oracle
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Hi Olivier,

First question I'd like to ask is: will this benchmark and its results
will be accessible on the net when you'll have finished ?

I'm interested about your benchmark and your results.

> I'm running a benchmark with theses 3 databases, and the first results
> are not very good for PostgreSQL.

Hope I can give you hints to enhance PostgreSQL's performances in your
benchmark.

> PostgreSQL is 20% less performance than MySQL (InnoDB tables)

I think MySQL's tuning is comparable to PostgreSQL's?

> My benchmark uses the same server for theses 3 databases :
> Dell Power edge - Xeon 2.8 Ghz - 2 Go Ram - 3 SCSI disks - Debian
> Sarge - Linux 2.6

ok. 3 disks is really few for a database server IMHO (more disks, better
I/O *if* you span database files onto disks).

> The transactions are a random mix of request in read (select) and
> write (insert, delete, update) on many tables about 100 000 to 15 000
> 000 rows.

ok. But.. What's the size of your database ?
[see it in psql with: select pg_size_pretty(pg_database_size('myDatabase');]

> Transactions are executed from 500 connections.

You mean its a progressive test (1, 10, 100, 400, 500..???) or 500 from
the very beggining ?

> For the tunning of PostgreSQL i use official documentation and theses
> web sites :
>
> http://www.revsys.com/writings/postgresql-performance.html
> http://www.varlena.com/GeneralBits/Tidbits/annotated_conf_e.html

Those pages are great if you want to reach to a great postgresql.conf.

> Some important points of my postgresql.conf file :
>
> max_connections = 510
> shared_buffer = 16384
> max_prepared_transactions = 510

why? whats the point putting 510 here?

> work_mem = 1024

I found that value really low. But you'll have to check if you need
more. Thats all about looking for temporary files creation under $PGDATA.

> maintenance_work_mem = 1024

This has to be increased dramatically, I really reccomend you read this
page too: http://www.powerpostgresql.com/PerfList/

> fsync = off

Thats pretty unsecure for a production database. I don't think it is
good to test PostgreSQL with fsync off, since this won't reflect the
final configuration of a production server.

> wal_buffers = 32

A great value would be 64. Some tests already concluded that 64 is a
good value for large databases.

You'll *have to* move $PGDATA/pg_xlog/ too (see end of this mail).

> commit_delay = 500
> checkpoint_segments = 10

Put something larger than that. I use often use like 64 for large databases.

> checkpoint_timeout = 300
> checkpoint_warning = 0
> effective_cache_size = 165 000

Try 174762 (2/3 the ram installed). Wont be a great enhance, for sure,
but let's put reccomended values.

> autovaccuum = on

Thats a critic point. Personaly I dont use autovacuum. Because I just
don't want a vacuum to be started ... when the server is loaded :)

I prefer control vacuum process, when its possible (if its not,
autovacuum is the best choice!), for example, a nighlty vacuum...

A question for you: after setting up your test database, did you launch
a vacuum full analyze of it ?

> default_transaction_isolation = 'read_committed'

> What do you think of my tunning ?

IMHO, it is fairly good, since you put already somewhat good values.

Try too to set "max_fsm_pages" depending what PostgreSQL tells you in
the logfile... (see again http://www.powerpostgresql.com/PerfList/)

With XEON, you have to lower "random_page_cost" to 3 too.

You don't mention files organisation ($PGDATA, the PG "cluster") of your
server?

I mean, it is now well known that you *have to* move pg_xlog/ directory
to another (array of) disk! Because otherwise its the same disk head
that writes into WALs _and_ into files...

OTOH you are using "fsync=off", that any DBA wouldn't reccomend.. Well,
ok, it's for testing purposes.

Same remark, if you can create tablespaces to span database files
accross (array of) disks, even better. But with 3 disks, its somewhat
limitated: move pg_xlog before anything else.

Now about "client side", I reccomend you install and use pgpool, see:
http://pgpool.projects.postgresql.org/ . Because "pgpool caches the
connection to PostgreSQL server to reduce the overhead to establish the
connection to it". Allways good :)

Hope those little hints will help you in getting the best from your
PostgreSQL server.

Keep us on touch,

--
Jean-Paul Argudo
www.PostgreSQLFr.org

Сообщение: Re: Benchmarck PostgreSQL 8.1.4 MySQL 5.0.20 and Oracle 10g2
Сообщение: Re: Benchmarck PostgreSQL 8.1.4 MySQL 5.0.20 and Oracle 10g2