Re: GUI Interface

От Kenneth Downs
Тема Re: GUI Interface
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Bart Butell wrote:

Is there a GUI interface to the database like Enterprise Manager for Microsoft SQL Server?

A couple of big ones are pgAdmin3 and phppgadmin

pgAdmin3 is a desktop app and looks like Enterprise Mgr.  If you are used to Enterprise mgr, it can be almost good enough, especially the Query Analyzer look-alike.  However, it has some drawbacks.  The longer you use it, the longer it takes to connect to databases each time you start up.  It says "Restoring previous settings".  On my linux box, it also has the dubious honor of being the only program I have ever seen that can lock X hard, with killing the X server being the only rescue (if you call that a rescue).  It can connect over networks, but on mine it always seems to hang after an hour or so, and you have to kill it and restart it.  Finally, it ain't great for inspecting  text columns.

phppgadmin runs on the server so you can use any browser to use it.  It really shines in its display of text columns.  Its only limitations that I've ever seen are the obvious limitations of being a web app.  I prefer pgAdmin3 over phppgadmin solely because pgadmin3 is a desktop app.

I find pgadmin3 also superior for inspecting and fiddling with stored procedures and especially triggers.

Just my $.02.

Thanks

Bart Butell

Sasquatch Engineering