Re: Compressing table images

От Joshua D. Drake
Тема Re: Compressing table images
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Brian Hurt wrote:
> My apologies if this subject has already been hashed to death, or if
> this is the wrong list, but I was wondering if people had seen this paper:
> http://www.cwi.nl/htbin/ins1/publications?request=intabstract&key=ZuHeNeBo:ICDE:06
>

> Basically it describes a compression algorithm for tables of a
> database.  The huge advantage of  doing this is that it reduced the disk
> traffic by (approximately) a factor of four- at the cost of more CPU
> utilization.
> Any thoughts or comments?

I don't know if that is the algorithm we use but PostgreSQL will
compress its data within the table.

Joshua D. Drake

> Brian

           === The PostgreSQL Company: Command Prompt, Inc. ===     Sales/Support: +1.503.667.4564 || 24x7/Emergency:
+1.800.492.2240    Providing the most comprehensive  PostgreSQL solutions since 1997
http://www.commandprompt.com/