Re: Database Selection

От Alban Hertroys
Тема Re: Database Selection
Дата
Список pgsql-general
IvoD wrote:
> real experience and real enterprise applications. And last but not
> least - I must run db engine on Win platform (not Linux) and all the
> "success stories" assume Linux platform. So does somebody here know

Well, for one thing... I have some experience with MySQL in that
respect, and I know that migrating MySQL on Windows to MySQL on Linux
(or a UNIX) causes trouble.

MySQL stores its' tables as files on the file system, which is case
insensitive on Windows and case sensitive on UNIX. If you didn't take a
lot of care to use the same case in your queries and your table
definitions, your queries will stop working once you migrate to UNIX...

With respect to PostgreSQL on Windows, utf-8 encoding isn't natively
supported on that platform, so you better don't use that for your
database encodings. A fix is in the works, if I understand correctly,
but AFAIK it isn't there yet.

Mind though that I rarely use Windows; I use it almost exclusively for
playing games. I am biased ;)

--
Alban Hertroys
alban@magproductions.nl