Upgrade of Windows MSI installations (version 8.0)

От Adam Majer
Тема Upgrade of Windows MSI installations (version 8.0)
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hello,

This is in regards to the FAQ 3.7 "When upgrading the installer says I
don't have permissions to install a service, but I'm logged in as
administrator". To fix the problem, I did,

sc stop pgsql-8.0
sc delete pgsql-8.0
<RUN upgrade.bat here>

After the installation was completed, the service failed to start due to
incorrect login/password. To fix this small problem, go to the windows
regular service control and set proper login credentials. For example,
if your system account is different from postgres, you will need to
change it to the correct one (the owner of the data/* files) and also
set the password. Setting incorrect user name will cause the service to
start but fail (windows reports no error code) because PostgreSQL cannot
read the data directory.

Anyway, this is A LOT easier than reinstalling and I think it could be
added to the FAQ.

Also, I think this could be done in the installer. Windows could be
returning the permission error because the service already exists.

- Adam

PS. SC.EXE is a utility in Windows XP. You can also get it from
Microsoft at ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/reskit/win2000/sc.zip